In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I think so. But the longer run is only done during summertime.

1,000 passengers. About 2.5 km worth of lane space for vehicles. Not even a fifth of that is for cars. Truckers are a sizeable percentage of the passengers.

2. campinspecter

campinspecter

Looks like you have to back on ?

3. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

At least one or two people on here have commented on the "small" firewood we use a lot of here.

Whether it be at least partially due to excellent forest maintenance and responsible harvesting, a lot of the wood-related pictures and videos I see from down south and out west show forests somewhat like this one in Georgia, first photo. Big trees with lots of room to grow and plenty of room to walk between them.

The second and third photos were taken by me, a short walk from my house. Granted, this is a small stand of trees, pretty much completely unmaintained and unharvested due to being a small area between a river, a private property, and an old railroad track. But it shows why we burn a lot of wood that someone from these areas might consider too small to bother cutting up, and indeed why we mill some logs that they might call a waste of time.
    Our trees grow very thick, and when not given frequent grooming can quickly wind up growing relatively tall but proportionally very thin, sometimes literally inches apart and can easily become tangled, so thick they are very difficult to walk through and grow in on each other, keeping hardly any of them from growing big enough to yield a good sawlog. Hence why our forestry guidelines ask that when harvesting firewood, any tree big and straight enough to yield a handful of 2x4s be left for those seeking sawlogs, we have loads of trees available that won't require splitting (and a few bigger ones too curvy to mill). And a good example that responsible and respectful human intervention can indeed sometimes be a gift to nature.

Even our "big" trees are tiny compared to the behemoths you'll find in places like British Columbia and Oregon (a region i would love to visit some day), but they are a bit easier and safer to handle, and probably more plentiful per square mile in exchange for their smaller size. I also believe the interior of the island yields bigger trees than usually found around the coastal areas like the peninsula I call home, which suits the purpose of its clientele. There are few communities in the interior, so the forestry hails almost exclusively from large lumber mills producing graded lumber for wholesale, rather than homeowners and a few small local mills.

beards-creek-forest-ga-stacy-funderburke-202105266.jpeg

DSCF6645.JPG DSCF6646.JPG

4. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I was wondering that myself. Can't seem to find out for sure yet. Doesn't appear to have a normal bow door, but there is a notch at the tip that I'm not sure of its purpose. :confused:

5. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine! Couple days off to get some things done around the house. Been moving some stuff and helping a brother out on my last few days off. So I’m ready to actually have two off. Will get some exercise today and see if I can get something done with my new to me Kubota.

savemoney, bogieb, wildwest and 7 others like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Did we see any pics of that kubota yet? Work safe!

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not that ive seen but sold last cab tractor

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think he's running a used tractor lot...:D :thumbs:

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Works off commission? :whistle:

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

The last of the snow has finally vacated my property! Raked up the last of the driveway gravel from where it shouldn't be.....:whistle:

Dragged the riding mower out, aired up the tires and charging the battery as I post. I've got the broadcast spreader (new) set and ready to spread lawn weed and feed after the foul weather slows down. Grass is greening up and those nice yellow flowers from europe are begining to sprout all over the place!!!

[​IMG]

11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    yooperdave Up here, the big promotion is to leave the dandelions to bloom as they feed the early bees so they can pollenate the crops and flowers. I feel you're fighting a losing battle.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Gas's Tractor Exchange

13. Gasifier

Gasifier

I haven’t taken any pictures of my work with it yet. But this little fella has made it to my house.
    IMG_5151.png IMG_5150.png IMG_5154.png IMG_5156.png IMG_5155.png IMG_5153.png
    It also came with a 4’(48”) 3-point tiller. I used that to till up the pumpkin patch for my daughter. (Just before the buyer showed up to purchase it.:whistle:)

3 years, 10-1/2 months, or so

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

That blower will get more dusty before you use it I bet!! If it stays around that long

15. Gasifier

Gasifier

I do not need it, and it’s up for sale. You can turn the PTO shaft with one hand and everything spins a smooth as can be. Impressive how nice a shape it is in.
    IMG_5175.png
    IMG_5165.jpeg IMG_5167.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  16. Erik B

Erik B

I remember doing that during AIT in the Army.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

GTX

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

And it’s snowing at the border
    Yes stove is Cho Cho ing
    Hard freeze tonight

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Under Armor crew socks, FYI, I saw a sale and bought WWW a 6 pk. Large size, and he has a super high instep. Anyway I have new socks. I have a pair on now, they fit a woman's 7 just fine and they're pretty thin. No way he could get them on. Narrow enough kiddo could use them as knee highs.

savemoney, Horkn, Gasifier and 3 others like this.
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

"......four more years. Pause."

:picard: :headbang:

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

savemoney, Gasifier and brenndatomu like this.