In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shantung Maple? Texas? Vermont?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Mr A, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Mr A

Mr A

I have these Shantung maple trees. I've never smoked meat with any type of maple here in N. California. It's not familiar in any recipes I've used. It is a hardwood treefrom china. I've read cities in Texas use it for street trees. Hot and dry, just like here. I dont get any maple syrup fom these trees. I'm growing them for shade. Just wondering if the branch trimmings mght be good smoking wood, or would any maple for that matter? I have apile of them. If nothing else, they'll end up used for heat in winter. Lots of oak, almond, grape, olive, hickory pecan, apple that I get around here. Also walnut, but I've been told its not good for smoking, so, I haven't used it. thanks, appreciated. canada?

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Should be good for smoking.

Mr A likes this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If you have hickory, pecan and apple, I'd not bother using a maple, not to say it would ruin your meat but with those greats, why risk it. Oak is great for beef too. Definitely would never use walnut.

JD Guy, Eckie and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. JD Guy

JD Guy

Sorry for the thread hijack :confused:, but wondering who may have used fig, or Bradford Pear for smoking and what were the results? Thanks!

5. Mr A

Mr A

I've used Bradford pear on some chicken. It was mild. I only used it once or twice several years ago. I don't remember it being terrible. I probably started a post on it if you care to look it up.

Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. JD Guy

JD Guy

Thanks!

Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Dunmyer mowing llc and me had a recent conversation on Bradford Pear... Heres the exchange...
    Tree Service Score Stumped

JD Guy and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  8. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

Wicked big storm a few years back destroyed all the pear trees that lined the towns main street, I ended up with a couple triaxle loads of it cooked alot of food with it,most of it still had Christmas lights on it