In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Local Tsc Selection. Whats In Those Tsc Red Bags!! Upc Info

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by jtakeman, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

you know what I mean

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I haven't burned the Pure fire since my 2010 testing, But I did like them. Granted that was before DC got bought out by PA pellets. I'd try them again(small quantity just to see). Probably won't compare to the Minute Man, But may be a decent alternative if the MM dry up?

I hope the MM show in my local store, I can't wait to try!

ttdberg likes this.
  3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Here's the thing about the Minute Man pellets. Lucky for me, they are stored in such a way that they are well hidden from view, so folks really aren't going to know they are there unless they go sniffing around like a hound - you know, like me :whistle: But here's the other thing. Last weekend I went down there to pick up another ton. I paid the clerk and she called for the guy to meet me out in the yard to load a ton of pellets. By the time I backed up to the fence, he was already waiting with a ton of MWPs on the forklift. So I got out and told him this time I'm here for the MM pellets. He goes and gets one for me. When he came back I asked him which pellets people prefer in general. He immediately responds with 9 out of 10 people want the hard woods. I said you realize those MWPs are a 60/40 blend and are not "hard woods" right? He says yes, but the customer's don't. OK, so next there is a couple waiting to get their pellets after me. I asked what kind are they going to get. The lady tells me the hard woods. I said you know those softwood pellets he put on my truck are often favored by many over the hard woods. They are commonly known to produce more heat and less ash. She tilts her head and gives me a look like I just smoked crack and proceeds to tell me that she can't burn soft wood in her stove. She says it will only burn hard wood (I'm not kidding) o_O Realizing this was a battle not worth fighting - and leaves more more for me, by the way :) I just chuckled and said have a good day. So...it would appear that I live in an area where everyone's brain is hard wired to think of pellet burning in the same way they think of traditional wood stove burning. Suppose this probably remains the widespread norm?

jtakeman likes this.
  4. subsailor

subsailor

I know the first time I was told softwood is better than hardwood I laughed at the guy. How wrong I was!

5. FredRed

FredRed

Both of those stores are local to me. Jay, which pellet (between SC and MWP) do you recommend? I have no experience with either. I have burned Lignetics and Hamers which I was real happy with. The FSU I burned last year was so-so as they were sooty and made more clinkers.

jtakeman likes this.
  6. FredRed

FredRed

mmm...beer. Prefer single malt scotch myself :yes:

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'd give the SC an edge. But the MWP in the TSC bag are pretty close. JIC I would try both in small quantities to get a feel for them. Neither are on par with Hamers or Liggies, But besides the Green Supreme's they are whats usually available to us on a regular basis. I usually pick up a half dozen or so to get a decent feel for how they work.

Another pellet to keep an eye out for is the AWF that TSC sometimes carries. Good pellet for the box store price and the best I could find last season.I'm also hoping TSC gets a new pellet called Minute Man. Supposed to be an excellent softwood. HD sometimes has Pres to Logs and I did well with them as they are a Lignetics product. Lowes sometimes gets Timber Heats. They also did well for me.

No matter what I say, Its always best to try some yourself as each stove tends to be a bit different. Keep us posted on how they do for you.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. FredRed

FredRed

Thanks Jay. I guess I will try them both. I did run the Presto Logs one year when I couldn't get the "real" Lignetics and was pleasantly surprised. I will stop by TSC and report back on what they have left.

jtakeman likes this.
  9. imacman

imacman

Uh oh.......looks like someone is looking at fuel "options" again......can you say "coffee pellets"? LOL

jtakeman likes this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

These are left overs, But I have been looking into the corn option. I hear corn prices are rather low this year.

11. mithesaint

mithesaint

Paid about $125/ton the other day. That was bulk, not bagged, btw. Bagged was about the same price as pellets.

12. FredRed

FredRed

TSC in Bristol had pellets with the UPC 013238000612
    Does anyone know the pedigree of these?

jtakeman likes this.
  13. will711

will711

Hey Fred I tried searching that number ,but no luck:(

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Look to be Lignetics.

TSC liggies.JPG

FredRed likes this.
  15. FredRed

FredRed

Thanks guys! That's good news - I had great luck with Lignetics but I don't think I have run any out of the Idaho plant.

16. imacman

imacman

Possible softies? What did the bag say?

I got Lignetics softies one year at a TSC (stumbled on them)......they were great!

17. FredRed

FredRed

It didn't say it was softies. It was in the generic TSC bag. I'll pick some up tomorrow and let you know if there is any more info on the bag.

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Most likely the same pellet as the Pres to logs. Wish my local had them as I was pleased with the half dozen bags I tried last spring.

So far I have only seen 3 different brands in the TSC bags. Hamers, Lignetics and MWP. There are supposed to be 5 different mills bagging for them.

will711 likes this.
  19. will711

will711

Jay I think you are prolly right TSC ,try's to ship from the closest mills as possible, to keep costs down, don't think they would ship from Idaho to the east and then sell at that price.

20. FredRed

FredRed

Stopped by there today and picked up a half ton. The overwrap on the pallet had a Lignetics tag on them and the bags say 100% hardwood.
    They only had 2 more pallets left. They just got a delivery of MWP and they also have GS.

IMG_0900[1].JPG