In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How to buy mail order

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Yawner

Yawner

That's what we called it in the 'old days.' Mail order. Except this is social media order. I found a saw that I want. After I speak to them and assuming I feel ok about everything, then what? They will need to ship it. Any of you have any advice on how not to get ripped off? This is off Facebook Marketplace. When you buy stuff such as this, pay for it up front or have you come up with any other arrangement? This is really too far away to drive but I'd like to buy it because it's an uncommon listing for a saw I want. I will need to convince them to pack it well, I know some people are not good packers. It's enough money, I'd hate to lose it, lol. Have you had good luck with FBMP?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Pay with PayPal goods and services. If you aren't satisfied, you have purchase protection. To what degree I'm not sure because I've never had an issue I needed to open a case about. If it comes completely trashed, I'm sure you could get your money back though.
    I don't think I've bought anything from FBMP that wasn't a local meet up.

3. savemoney

savemoney

I have been scammed more than once from things bought of a FB ad. Either I see it first, or I don't buy from that sight.

4. RCBS

RCBS

I passed a half priced new saw last week because I couldn't meet in person. (distance)

5. jrider

jrider

Just me personally, but I will only do face to face or porch pickups on marketplace.

6. moresnow

moresnow

Agree with everybody else. Tread lightly. Fb is an eyes on. Hands on. Only for me. Otherwise PayPal services. No PayPal friends and family.
    My opinion.

7. John D

John D

What you want to buy is it local to one of us
    We could go look at it test it then ship it to you

8. Butcher

Butcher

Personally I dont buy on line. I like to touch, see and smell what I am buying. I know some things I purchase could be had cheaper on line rather than hands on but it would only take getting burnt on one purchase to negate any savings I may have had on other buys. But thats just an old man ;like me opinion.

savemoney, walt, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Like Wolverine said use paypal so you are protected. If the deal seems to good to be true it more than likely is.

I see them all the time when I browse for chain saw deals. I've bought saws and got free wood but only meeting up in person.

Be careful and good luck Bill. Oh, whatcha buying? Inquiring FHCer's wanna know.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  10. Yawner

Yawner

I doubt it is anything anyone on this forum would want but ya never know and I have searched a long time for this, lol. I will reveal later. I would only do it after speaking with the seller and even getting references or something, and use Paypal goods n services. Good idea on the latter! But it may not even happen because I fear they do not want to ship. I just hoped they would. But... they have a buyer (me) and it's not something you would easily find a buyer for. More later!

On the 'it's too good to be true,' I see this all the time, yes, but this might be legit. I'm cautious, though. I hate to buy new on this, it's expensive. More later!

11. jo191145

jo191145

I’ve bought firearms and components from gun forums cross country. Different set of people than FB. I’d never buy anything from FB marketplace sight unseen unless I was ready to kiss that money away and I don’t see that happening in my lifetime. I’ll blow money away but I don’t give it away to scammers. My blood pressure is high enough already :)

12. Yawner

Yawner

I have bought a LOT of stuff online but it was on eBay and also quite a bit through forums, and some FBMP and Craigslist. But Craigslist has gone to pot and I am leery of FBMP.

Why are so many ads for outdoor related stuff posted by women? I know some can be legit... husband/boyfriend isn't tech savvy... but, sheesh, it's crazy how much stuff is on there by women whom I would think don't know what they are selling. Such as the item I am after... reveal... I think my FBMP deal is going south... bummer... several years old but they claimed used one weekend and then set on a shelf... and half-price of new... it is...

A Stihl FS 560, which is a badass clearing saw, some call it a brush cutter. I have a Husqvarna fr345 and bought it instead of the biggest because I really couldn't rationalize $1,500 to $1,600 new price but I would like to have more power. This is pretty hard work. The Stihl fs560 is like having a 60cc saw (ms362) on a stick. My Husky is about 45cc I think. I still have to cut/clear/thin a bazillion more saplings and I could stop at two inches with the Husky but I'd rather have more power and cut, say, 3-inch saplings. And not break something. I know of people who do this for a living and swear by the big Stihl or a Husky; they have a big one too, the 555, and I am looking into it, too. I think both of them are 57cc and 3.8hp.

13. jo191145

jo191145

well you can go a long way to verify the difference between a scammer FB profiler and a normal person. I’ll give FB credit for that. Still it’s a large gamble even with a normal persons profile. I moderate a page on FB, spend a lot of time there. I check every profile rather thoroughly before allowing them to join. There’s just too much deception going on. I buy a lot of stuff from FBM but it’s all face to face.

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'd ask to freind them, check out their FB page, and say payment upon confirmable shipping tracking #

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

This!!! Local to some body most FHC would do it for you

16. Biddleman

Biddleman

That is some major truth! Never had an issue or worried on gun forums. FBMP I have to see it in person to believe it. Then its cash money.

17. jo191145

jo191145

I shot competitively for a number of years. The first time you walk on the line of a sanctioned event, shake a few hands, say hellos, you realize within just minutes you’ve just entered the safest place in the world. Not because of the guns, because of the people. It’s really awe inspiring.