In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gas pole saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by old iron, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I'm going to off my Stihl gas weed trimmer for one of their light weight battery units. I don't do enough trimming to have a gas unit or a much heavier Milwaukee battery unit.

Horkn, RCBS, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  2. savemoney

savemoney

This is the way to go. Also get the hedge trimmer to go with it. What you end up buying is batteries as yours will wear out.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I only use a weed whacker a couple hours per year at home, for very light duty grass/weed trimming...thinking real seriously about going battery powered on this...

Horkn, RCBS, Eric Wanderweg and 2 others like this.
  4. Dok440

Dok440

To the original question, I have an Echo pole saw and love it. It was cheaper than the Husky at the dealer. It extends slightly further. The downside is it is noticeably heavier. It is well made and has a lot less plastic than the Husky. I use Red Armor canned fuel and I empty it out when done.

I am also considering a battery powered chain saw. By the middle of June it is usually too dry to use a gas chainsaw. I think I could use a battery powered one especially if I drag the trees to a clearing. I won't be using it for long periods like my firewood saws but it would allow me to clear and process trees or limbs that go down over the summer. What is everyone's favorite battery powered saw?

Horkn, savemoney, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  5. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

It's a chore I despise.

Horkn, savemoney, ammoaddict and 6 others like this.
  6. chris

chris

well I have an electric corded pole saw, and a corded electric saw just for particular situations and a small genny to run them if needed. Now the genny died, but I can replace it for less than what lot of those battery packs cost, works for me. Everything has its pros and cons, just me and battery packs don't seem to get along. My weed/brush wacker is gas, and I buy line by the mega spool.

Horkn, savemoney, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  7. old iron

old iron

no one has answered my question ,I was asking if anyone had tried the ones on amazon? they seem to review ok,not buying electric, and will pay for a echo if I need to,

Horkn, savemoney, ammoaddict and 3 others like this.
  8. 0rion

0rion

I have the 20v DeWalt and love it. I use the mess out of that thing to because it travels so easy. My camper is 13'4" so I'm trimming limbs at a couple places I take it during the summer. The battery makes that easier and less mess although I still have to mess with bar oil.

9. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I haven't tried any off brand ope from Amazon or eBay.

10. RCBS

RCBS

It was tough to swallow for me at $550. Check your local equipment rental spot.

11. RCBS

RCBS

When Milwaukee entered the cordless market they were selling some of the best tools available. I could never confirm, but fairly certain Hilti was making a lot of their stuff. My old nicad hammer drill has a Rohm keyless chuck on it and is marked 'made in germany'. Powerwise not up to par with the moderns but for sure more durable tools. I also have one remaining battery. Have orbital sawzall, drill and circ saw of that series.

12. RCBS

RCBS

There's only been one that has even slightly tickled my fancy..the one that CampInspector has...the bigger Stihl. Looks to have real power to it. That said lol I own no less than 3 battery saws. Two of them are goofy Milwaukee Axe thingies and the third is the smallest Makita top handle. For what I needed it for, it works fantastik. (vine control) As far as replacing a gas top handle goes I have recently dusted off my 20 year old Echo and am using again after a hiatus. The little Mak is nice, but the thermal protection always seems to be very conservative. The Echo don't care...keep it fueled and oiled and it will run as long as you like.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We used to have the M28 stuff at work, specifically the drills...those things were workhorses, and how! Take a lickin and keep on tickin! That drill finally went in the drink and we switched over to the then new "Fuel" series stuff...which I like, BUT, the drill actually has too much power! When using it to drill a larger hole in steel (SS specifically) it overworks it to use high gear (and work hardens the SS) and low gear will stinkin break your arm if the bit catches, you can't hold onto it!!
    Its happened to me a couple times now, and it really wrenched my wrist...to the point that the same pain comes back much easier now, and its probably been 5 years ago!

Horkn, savemoney, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  14. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

The only gas powered ope I have from Amazon is a little 25cc top handle chainsaw. It is great. I'm glad I bought it.

Horkn, savemoney, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I bought the DeWalt 20v one a few years back as I had several of the batteries already. Not as powerful as a gas unit but works okay and gets the job done. Very dependable...starts all the time! :D
    well unless the battery is dead. Food for thought for occasional use vs. the price of a gas powered unit.

16. RCBS

RCBS

If you recall, most any 1/2" corded drill from before 1995 would twist your arm off if you weren't careful. Most all came with a screw in handle that you flirted with danger choosing not to use. I still have a Makita drill that has twisted me up more than once. It's not been out of the cabinet for a while though.

17. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Back when things were still built to last.

buZZsaw BRAD, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Buddy got one off Amazon don’t remember brand.. I have Stihl combi unit borrowed it to finish 10 hour job. To be fair I got 22 acres and pole saw, paddle broom, tilled and string trimmer.. so 10 hours a day when use it.. paddle broom 20 hour this week get gravel off grass
    Tiller for wife flowers garden and fix plow ruts
    Pole saw 20 hours to push back limbs on fields and trails

weed wacker as needed..

his over heated after 4 hours continued use..

IIRC $300 power head and $135 pole saw
    So you have $ comparison