In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gas pole saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by old iron, Apr 16, 2024.

1. old iron

old iron

I need a gas pole saw , has anyone tried any of the ones on Amazon or eBay? Probably won’t be used all that much but would like it to be dependable
    Thanks

buZZsaw BRAD, eatonpcat and RCBS like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

I went all in and bought one a couple years ago after wanting one for a long time. Went with Echo, the extendable straight handle model. It does sit quite a bit but when needed nothing else will do. I use the canned fuel in it due to so much storage time and have had zero issues so far. Previously I had rented one when I really needed.

3. John D

John D

One thing to look at is a combi unit that way you can use other attachments and the unit doesn’t sit

buZZsaw BRAD and savemoney like this.
  4. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

So let me get this right. You want cheep and reliable? :rofl: :lol: Good luck with that!

What's the old saying about buying quality stuff? oh yeah! Buy once, cry once.

5. old iron

old iron

so you are saying I have to spend 6-7 hundred dollars to have a saw I will use maybe 10 hours a year?

6. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Naw you don't have to do anything. You might be money/headache ahead if you just hired someone when needed. Its a slippery slope owning OPE and not being able or wanting to work on them. Gets expensive quick when they're not running.

7. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Im not sure what brand, if any, battery powdered tools you own, but this is an option. Especially if you already have batteries and chargers. My buddy has this unit and loves it. If I needed a pole saw, I'd get one as everything battery I have is Milwaukee now. I have enough batteries that I just buy tool only and it's significantly cheaper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...0-in-Saw-Chain-2825-20PS-49-16-2723/321558149

Horkn, RCBS, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I concur with RCBS. I have 2 Echo chainsaws and an Echo weedwhacker. If I was in the market for a pole saw, I'd go with another Echo, hands-down. All of mine have been dead reliable and they don't break the bank either.

JimBear, Horkn, buZZsaw BRAD and 7 others like this.
  9. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Now there's an idea! :salute: One of the few tools that might be better electric. Well at least for the homeowner that uses it once a year.

Horkn, buZZsaw BRAD, RCBS and 4 others like this.
  10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I agree if I were getting a gas unit. Echo is hard to beat for reliability.

JimBear, Horkn, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I think the Milwaukee stuff is commercial. The battery trimmers are anyway. Same powerhead on both.

13. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

One of my many complaints of battery stuff is, the batteries don't last very long before you're buying a new one. Commercial stuff is worse imo. Was a mechanic for 15 yrs and had minimal battery powered stuff cause i heard what the other guys in the shop would say about their battery powered tools. No thanks. Air from the compressor was better and so is gasoline, imo.

Horkn, RCBS, eatonpcat and 1 other person like this.
  14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I have one 18 volt Milwaukee battery that was bought new in 2008. I used them in my profession for years. It's the weakest of all of the batteries I have, but still works good enough for a drill. I've been very happy with Milwaukee.

15. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

The twin of that battery that came in a three tool kit died two years ago. Still excellent life span.

16. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Not trying to argue with ya, just giving the other perspective.

So i haven't been employed as a mechanic for maybe 5 years. The one battery powered tool i had, none of the batteries work now. Junk. All my air powered tools still work just fine. Yall can pick whatever works for you. No skin off my back.

17. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Mine skin of mine either. I've use several brands of battery powered tools as a machine repair / millwright. Milwaukee has been my favorite. I got rid of almost all my air tools. No hose to deal with is great.

18. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Oh i understand the convenience of em. The one tool i had was a small screwdriver type thing with a paddle trigger. Was super nice for dash and interior work. Battery powered has its place. There're several things i hope to never have to own as a battery powered unit. Way things are going tho.....

Horkn, eatonpcat and Eggshooterist like this.
  19. Chud

Chud

I have been using the same Stihl electric pole saw for more years than I can remember. Best guess is 5-10 years. Original battery works the same. It’s a lot lighter than a gas powered equivalent. The battery lasts longer than I can walk around cutting limbs overhead with a pole saw. If you’ve cut with a pole saw for any length of time you know it will jack up your shoulders and neck. There’s a place for battery powered ope and I can’t think of a better example than the pole saw. Night and Day difference.

Horkn, MikeInMa, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I want battery where it makes sense for me, not big brother. A conversation for another thread we are in lol.