In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Camper newbies

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by T.Jeff Veal, Dec 27, 2023.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We recently got a good deal on a truck and camper package. '21 F250, 7.3L gas, 45K miles... 20231220_213610.jpg
    And '20 Dutchman Aspen Trail...
    35', 2 slides. Screenshot_20231221_084554_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231221_084722_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231221_084624_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231221_084701_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231221_084613_Facebook.jpg
    I've pulled numerous trailers over the years, but not a camper.
    It has a hitch with it, not sure of brand.
    We would like any suggestions on things to have on camper, ideas.
    We have our 1st trip planned end of April at a nearby state park, then planning on the trek to Backwoods Savage GTG in May.
    On a long trip, where do y'all spend the night on the way?

mat60, Moparguy, WinonaRail and 15 others like this.
  2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Rvparky is the app you want for finding places to stop.

please make it a point to avoid truck stops at all costs. Those guy’s struggle enough with parking as it is.

Using just what’s on the camper, change a tire. You’ll likely find out you immediately want to swap the lug nuts out as they are those junky sheet metal covered ones that bulge up.

I made plywood plates for my jacks to give a larger foot print.

you’ll want to make or get some yellow pads for under the legs on your steps.

get a potable water hose. I like green for that.

get a black water hose. They make them in red for flushing the black tank. They are also labeled that way “black water only”

I also have a grey water hose for when I’m hooked up to the house and just using the sinks and shower.

I have a piece of gutter I keep for supporting the black water hose when hooked up to a campsite.

you’ll want 50to 30 amp adapter, power surge suppressor, the 30amp to 20 amp outlet adapter, a main power line extension cord.

it’s likely a weight distribution hitch is what it came with. Not hard to set up but it can be time consuming for the first time and making sure you load the front sufficiently.

I also like having a 3/8” cordless impact for setting the camper jacks.

I carry two 6’ 2x8 for putting under my tires to help level. I also keep a torpedo level on the camper too.

plan to level side to side first as best you can and then front to rear.

you can use the slide outs if your Side to side is level. If not, try not to move them much.

camp out In The driveway often the rest of this year until April.

You’ll learn a lot about what you need/not need just setting it up and prepping for movement in the driveway.

have a way to plug the camper in at the house. You’ll want to precool your refrigerator the day before you want to load it up.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Can you make that the first week of May? I made the post this morning. I sure hope you can make it.

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

You will also want to modify your air conditioning like this.

I can keep my camper cool with no effort now having done this IMG_3435.jpeg

You can see the 2X8 I use to level side to side in this picture.
    IMG_3436.jpeg

this is the generator I use with the camper when boondocking. I’m still working on the solar part.
    IMG_3497.jpeg

5. RCBS

RCBS

I think the Brits have a better description for a travel trailer in 'Caravan'. It's a real nice unit Jeff, but not much 'camping' going on with it. LOL If I ever got one, it'd have to be self powered unit with a motorcycle hanging off the back.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Planning to take vacation days to come.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Lots of good advice FarmerJ Taking it out for a couple of short runs is a great idea as well. Don't ask me why I am giving this advice but make sure nothing is left on the counters that could fly off when traveling. Can be messy and damage things.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Lotta good info there FarmerJ !
    That's a big unit TJ...my buddy had one almost that big, he was using a GMC 3500 454 crew cab dually to pull it, said he quickly realized that while not "technically", campers that size are better suited to be "park models"...he ended up selling it for a smaller one for better traveling manners.
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but having formerly been married into a family that owned an RV dealership, I have heard the same story before, and would advise taking it on some shorter trips soon, get your personal impression/feel for it...if you would happen to come to the same conclusion and decide to downsize it a bit, the sooner the better as far as its residual value...that and while the economy is still "hot"...boats and camper sales are the first things to drop off when the economy tightens up.
    Enjoy! :campfire:

mat60, Moparguy, WinonaRail and 11 others like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Glamping :)

mat60, Moparguy, farmer steve and 8 others like this.
  10. BCB

BCB

Congrats. Look into Harvest Host if you plan on doing a lot of traveling.

mat60, Moparguy, In the Pines and 5 others like this.
  11. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Lots of good advice there!
    We’ve started using KOA’s a fair bit and have had good luck. Even bought a KOA membership, I think it was around $40 but gets you a discount at each stay and pretty much paid for itself in 4 stops.
    KOA seems almost like a sub-culture, but we’ve enjoyed it, all the ones we’ve stayed at have had nice restrooms and showers so you can minimize using your rv facilities, friendly and helpful staff. The one downside is many are not very far from the interstate or other major roads which provides easy access but also some traffic noise. Sioux Falls South Dakota is only about 60yards off the interstate and under the approach of the airport. So terrible noisy but very cool to watch military jets rocket by.

Moparguy, Chaz, Eggshooterist and 5 others like this.
  12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

While you will probably be very weight conscious about what you add to your rv in the way of tools and accessories, your wife will probably want to take 2/3 of the stuff out of your house to keep in the camper, and then she will order a bunch more crap off Amazon to have in the camper. Then she will be out of storage space so you might have to build some shelves or cabinets to put stuff in, or she may order some type of storage cabinet or containers online.
    Ask me how I know :mad:

Moparguy, farmer steve, Chaz and 10 others like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

Try being evacuated for a wildfire and putting one's whole life in a 78' Terry Travel Trailer- we did. Imagine, computer tower, 20 years of photo books, and we had an infant at that ripe old age, so playpen, stroller, and all the diapers stuff. And of course, coffee maker and coffee. Ended up buying a lot more socks, scivies, and clothes for lil one. Beyond no running water in it (bottled water) and flushing with pitchers of water, we glamped in RV lot. No internet or cell phone but electricity, tv, bought a portable a/c unit at Sam's and vented it through stove hood exhaust, then a little microwave and vacuum from walmart just like you said! We were certain we'd lose our home like all the others but we did not. We took two vehicles then, but other times just one and TBH I was fine riding pulling the travel trailer but riding while pulling the 5th wheel wrecks me. Constant push and pull of it behind the truck even at steady speeds. Put it this way, I like newspaper puzzles and my nice print writing while riding pulling the 5th wheel is hard to decipher lol.

Also RV parks have showers, unless you're there long enough to hook up water/sewer (if they have it), easier to shower there and not use your water tank in tiny shower and fill your gray tank.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  14. campinspecter

campinspecter

You can give advice , you scored really high on your class one road test !!! I almost failed mine!

15. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Well, thank you campinspecter You are always the better driver especially backing up trailers.

16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

T.Jeff Veal

I recommend an inline water filter if using any water source outside of your own. A pressure regulator is a must as well because some camp grounds can have higher pressure than RV plumbing is designed to handle. Also a 90° elbow to be attached to the camper water inlet before the hose. Reduces the stress on the hook up.

We use Zero-G water hoses from Lowe's. Drinking water safe. Collapses into a lightweight package. Easy to roll. Not a weak shrinking hose. More like a mini fire hose. We have two 25 footers on board because we got caught short one time with only one.

We also carry one 25' RV extension in case the factory 25' doesn't reach. Twice we have had to use it. We have 15, 30 and 50 amp adapter.

We use Anderson Hitch brand wheel chock / leveling blocks. After trying others these are the way to go in my opinion. We also use their magnetic jack base. Below is one set of the chocks. I think the picture is explaination enough on how they work. If I think of anything else I'll chime back in.

IMG_20231228_115712158~2.jpg IMG_20231228_115650346~2.jpg

Just remembered.....

Some chocks and jack pads have an expiration date because they get brittle. These are life time use pieces.

One other thing. Water heater. Ours is electric and gas and they both can be on at the same time. We plug in and let the campground electric get our water up to temp then activate the gas side. If demand is high enough and the electric can't keep up, the gas fires so you get dual heating of the water. We haven't ran out of hot water with our 6 gallon water heater yet. We tested it without turning off the shower in between rinsing. I'm talking a regular shower, not standing in there for 20 minutes. Lol.

Moparguy, Woodwidow, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  17. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

IMG_20231228_121236691~2.jpg Bug screens on all outside appliance vents. Everything. Mud wasp will fill everything they can if you don't. Even your refrigerator drain. I stuff a piece of blue furnace filter in that. Water still drains and critters stay out.

Moparguy, Chaz, WinonaRail and 9 others like this.
  18. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

This is a water proof, heavy duty electric jack cover. Not sure if it's needed but keeping the power head dry cannot be a bad thing. It stays in it all the time, pulling and parked. You can operate the switch with it on and the safety chains hang on it when not in use.

IMG_20231228_121251155~2.jpg

Moparguy, Chaz, WinonaRail and 6 others like this.
  19. JD Guy

JD Guy

FarmerJ Has given loads of good advice, as have others. I would add to make lists of things that you want/need to have with you. As your lists get amended and you think you have them whittled down then print out a copy or two (save the file on your computer) and laminate it. Do the same thing with your departure and arrival check lists so that you do not forget to retract the slide outs, leave the drop cord, water hose, wheel chocks, etc…installed. Your lists will eventually become second nature to use and makes a quick way to prevent an expensive or embarrassing OOPS . Making some short weekend trips to a close campground or several prior to taking any significant long trips will pay significant dividends.

Camping while on the road can be stressful or not depending on your planning. You will not cover as many miles a day as if you were not towing, and you want to allow time for some setup time when you arrive so as not to do it while you are dog tired or in the dark. We have it down to almost a science and generally make reservations to make sure we have a site and don’t end up trying to hunt down an open campground late. That can put unnecessary stress on an otherwise good relationship with your spouse/family.

Just some of our experiences learned “the hard way”……YMMV

Good luck on your new adventures

Moparguy, Chaz, WinonaRail and 6 others like this.
  20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I've heard this scenario many times. It's also kinda shocking how many people come up to us with both our little campers and inquire about them. All were people in big RVs. Many told us big RVs are harder to find camping spots for as well as the obvious things like fuel cost and maneuverability. I believe it also depends on the type of campers the people are. There are generally two types. The home away from home, hang out in luxury in the park type, and the mobile hotel campers. That last one is us. We are gone almost all day, every day when using the camper. We only need and want what we consider the necessities. Comfortable bed, shower / toilet, fridge, stove, sink, heat / AC and a bonus if it had a 2 person dinette, which ours does. Id probably be a nervous wreck towing anything big. Lol