In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rebuilding my 20-year old Weber gas grill.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by MasterMech, Apr 1, 2024.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

IMG_8586.PNG

I uh - might have bought another one... :heidi:. Got it home last night, it's bigger than the black one, three burner. Not in as nice of shape and upon closer inspection, there's a good bit more rust on the cart/frame than I'd like and there is some minor warping on the firebox. I'll clean it up and see how bad it is, but it's pretty soft in a couple areas.

The burners are shot (but they do light), and it has a set of cheap Amazon flavorizers and grates that are functional, but won't last nearly as long as originals.

Maybe I do need to go buy a welder after all. :emptywallet::ups:

Whole bunch of griddle options for this one.

clay shooter, Eric VW, JD Guy and 3 others like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

I couldn't find any ID.

Screenshot_20240406-173821.png
    Screenshot_20240406-173846.png

Screenshot_20240406-173905.png

Screenshot_20240406-173946.png

3. RCBS

RCBS

I think it's a Gensis 1000lx. Found some parts schematics for it. Propane manifold and burner bars look to be the spendy parts so far. Burners may be ok in that unit. Flavorizer bars all still good and I think the grates are good enough for who it's for. Drip manifold brackets/holders are toast. Will have to tear into it further. Current arrangement has the quick coupler deal on it so it will have to be replaced or modified.

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

You are a good man, I would let that grill be dead!

Looking forward to seeing the after photos!

5. RCBS

RCBS

I don't want to let it die. It'll never look nice again but can be useful once more. It's not a priority, so may take me a bit but hope to be pulling yummy meat off this at some point.

Anyone think hitting it with a pressure washer would be detrimental to anything? I like working on 'clean' stuff when I can.

6. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

I can't see a problem with it. Might show more "soft" spots tho. You'll know better what you're working with that way.

7. MasterMech

I agree that it looks like a 90's Genesis 1000. You won't hurt it with a pressure washer and some degreaser. Just go easy on any wood parts.

You might be surprised how nice it'll look with the green schmoo gone.

Most notorious soft spots are where the firebox bolts to the cart on the left side. Firebox on yours looks to be in very nice shape still.

How bad is the manifold that you want to replace it?

Eric VW, RCBS and eatonpcat like this.
  8. RCBS

RCBS

I'll have to look at it better. Kindof assuming the worst with it although I have no reason to really. I'm going to hose it down this weekend if I get to it. Would it be a good idea to pull the manifold and burner bars before or just don't get stupid with the wand?

The firebox other than some superficial ugliness seems to be in excellent shape. All the wood is prettywell donefor.

9. MasterMech

Either way. If the wand or taking apart the burners destroys them (they come apart easy) then they were not long for this world anyways. Amazon sells aftermarket burners pretty reasonable so not a huge loss if they are shot.

Eric VW, metalcuttr and RCBS like this.
  10. RCBS

RCBS

Good input.

Eric VW and metalcuttr like this.
  11. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

My wife rebuilds our 30 year old Weber every few years, she takes it apart and fixes whatever it needs. The new Weber grills seem so cheaply built these days. Like Toyotas, Webers were built much better in the 1990’s!

MasterMech, RCBS, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  12. don2222

don2222

C1982872-ABEC-4DE5-9F05-86C4AB0C502E.jpeg

These grills are last a long time!

13. MasterMech

Another Genesis Silver A ! I think yours is a year or two older than mine. New enough to have the plastic side tables, old enough to have the removable thermometer on the side of the lid. (Mine is in the middle and does not double as a meat thermometer.)

metalcuttr likes this.
  14. MasterMech

The main difference seems to be in the carts. We've gone from the welded tube-frame setup with a heavy wire-frame basket underneath to enclosed but screwed together sheet-metal cabinets with p***-poor paint jobs that rust faster than the working parts of the grill wear out.

I think the newer Genesis series still provide a good value. Still US built too. The Summitt's are crazy expensive and there are lots of choices at the "boutique" (bougee? :rofl: :lol:) level where prices compete with a decade-old Honda Accord. Margins must be incredible for these high-end units.

The Spirit's seem ok. I'm not crazy about the Chinese manufacturing but it is what it is and you do what you must to provide a good product at the lower price points.

metalcuttr likes this.
  15. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Did not like my Weber Spirit...got rid of it last year and bought a Napoleon 9 Like it so far)

MasterMech and metalcuttr like this.
  16. lukem

lukem

Y'all got me motivated and I cleaned up the old grill. New burners and deflectors and a some degreaser. Not perfect but I should get several more years out of it before the next round of maintenance. PXL_20240420_201041702.jpg PXL_20240420_201053825.jpg

MasterMech, JD Guy, Woodwidow and 6 others like this.