In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Buckstove 81 and cold nights!

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by Wildbill, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill

Newbie here! needing to get another wood stove and thinking about buying a Buck stove model 81. Anyone own one and if so what do you think about it? I'm looking for burn times/wood amount and such. I burn primarily red oak/white oak/hickory/locust and wild cherry. These are the wood type available to me. Thanks for the replys!!

Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

No help from me on the stove, but welcome to the forum Wildbill

3. Wildbill

Wildbill

Thanks for the welcome pal!
    I've got and old Buck 2700 that I used as an insert for years but it wasn't what I needed for the basement. I got the 81 and hope it works well!

eatonpcat, Eric VW and billb3 like this.
  4. Wildbill

Wildbill

Thank y'all! Got the 81, new pipe and it's ready! The weather is looking like I can do a break in burn. I'll post a review after some burn time.

wildwest, jtstromsburg and eatonpcat like this.
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill

So, Got the 81 up and going. I'm burning primarily Red Oak thats been in the wood pile since last November. I can fill it up, choke it down and usually there's plenty of coals making it easy to throw a couple of sticks in and they'll light right up after around 9 hours. My house is a split level, around 2400 sq. ft. and it does good as long as it isn't windy. The quality of the stove is excellent. I've only had to clean the glass a couple of times and that was because the wife accidently put wood against the glass. I would recommend this stove but after using it, I wish I had bought a bigger stove. It's still a good stove and heats better than expected and uses less wood than my old stove.

Rick Capper and eatonpcat like this.
  6. Wildbill

Wildbill

7. Wildbill

Wildbill

8. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

What makes you wish for larger? If you run the air control open more, are the temps high enough?

9. Wildbill

Wildbill

It just doesn't heat my home very well when it's very cold, say around 0-20, or when it's windy. My old stove had no problem doing so in both conditions. And when I run the air control wide open I usually only get around 1-2, maybe 2 1/2 hours of burn time that produces decent heat and then I have to add more wood. If I run it on Med. air control it actually seems to heat almost as good for a much longer time and w/much less wood. I'm burning seasoned red oak, cherry and some black locust. My old stove did burn a lot more wood but it had a 4 cf firebox. This one only has a 2.4cf firebox. Sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a catalyst stove, but I only have a 6"flue and the ones I looked at you had to have a 8" flue.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    eatonpcat likes this.